The problem is it’s like when you give something to a child. They’re always going to figure out how they can get away with a little more.
South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley • In a written statement, explaining her reasoning for slashing the budget of the state’s rape crisis center budget. Crisis centers only help a small portion of residents, and distract from the state health department’s goal of providing treatment to all residents of South Carolina according to Governor Haley. ”Being raped is traumatic enough, but having to navigate that system, going to court by yourself, going to the hospital for a really intrusive and painful exam by yourself is horrific,” counters South Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault executive director Pam Jacobs, adding, ”Unfortunately, that’s the solution rape victims may be in if this veto is not overridden.” source (via • follow)
Jesus. Internalized misogyny like whoa. Haley also called this provision a “distraction” from “more important issues.” I cannot even with that level of woman-hating.
Hey, you know what’s a REAL distraction?
- spending hours in the hospital emergency room because your boyfriend beat you up
- wondering when your partner is coming out of jail from being arrested for hitting you the night before
- not being able to concentrate on school work because your classmate raped you
- getting kicked out of school because you were unable to deal with the trauma of being raped
- losing your job or housing because of domestic violence
- not being able to find counseling because you were depending on your abusive partner economically
- wondering EVERY DAY “how the hell am I going to get out of this situation?”
- phone calls from your student loan provider asking for payments you cant afford because you dropped out of school after being raped and can’t get a job due to a shitty economy
- being triggered
- worrying that you’ll never recover from the trauma you’ve endured.
She defended the veto by saying sexual assault victims are “only a small portion” of South Carolinians who need help
The top 1% of income earners seem to be important enough to coddle in terms of policy, but when it comes to RAPE VICTIMS it’s a distraction?
Here’s a big FUCK YOU to Nikki Haley. Abuse affects EVERYONE. WE ALL MATTER.