There is no evidence whatsoever linking autism to mass murder, and what limited research there is on the subject of crime and autism is fatally flawed and inconsistent.
However, Kasianne at the Radical Neurodivergence blog make the case that “neurotypical folks of the media: You are far more dangerous to us than we are to you. The mentally ill and the developmentally disabled are far more likely to be your victims than you are to be ours.
Some stats for you, taken from this UK source:
- 10% of convicted murderers had mental health problems.
- 25% of the population has mental health problems.
- 95% of homicides are committed by people without mental illnsses.
- People with psychosis are 14 times more likely to be attacked than to be the attackers.
- 25% of patients with mental illness have been the victim of violent crimes.
Clearly, people with mental illness have more reason to fear those without mental illness. Now, let’s look at some developmental disability statistics, shall we?
From The MA government:
- More than 90% of developmentally disabled people will be sexually abused.
- 54% will be sexually abused 10 times or more.
- Developmentally disabled adults have a 4-10 times greater likelyhood of being physically assaulted.
- 3% of these crimes will be reported.